Jeep Unveils Renegade 4xe And Compass 4xe PHEVs
22 July 2020 - InsidEevs
See the first plug-in hybrid Jeeps, made in Italy.
Those two twin models as of now should be available for ordering in most of the European markets, with first customer deliveries expected in September 2020.
According to Jeep, more than one thousand orders were collected for "First Edition" versions in eight markets since the announcement in early 2020. In Germany, it was offered from €38,800 (Renegade 4xe) and €43,300 (Compass 4xe).
The regular versions should be slightly more affordable. In the UK, the regular Renegade 4xe starts at £32,600 (€36,050) OTR.
Electrification of Jeep starts in Europe for a simple reason - Jeep and FCA in general have to comply with stricter CO2 emission requirements in the European Union. The average emissions of new cars have to be lowered and plug-in hybrids in the mix are one of the major tools to do it.
According to Jeep, the 4xe versions will offer the best performance and driving dynamics ever. Not strange as the internal-combustion engine (1.3L) with an electric motor and six-speed automatic transmission in the front was supported by the electric motor on the rear axle (there is no mechanical link between the axles).
The all-wheel-drive in all-electric mode should be silent and smooth like never before. Additionally, the EV mode makes perfect sense in city driving/daily commute.
he Jeep Renegade 4xe and Jeep Compass 4xe are equipped with 11.4 kWh battery - not the biggest of batteries, but it also should not compromise the interior/trunk/space for the spare tire.
The initially expected all-electric range was up to 50 km (31 miles), but we saw already the WLTP rating for the Renegade 4xe, and it was 26 miles (41.8 km). Maybe the Compass will get a few more.
"The 11.4 kWh, 400-volt lithium-ion battery pack.... is located underneath the second-row of seats, where it is protected from outside elements. Enclosed in a steel casing, the pack is fitted with a dedicated heating and cooling circuit to keep the battery at its optimum temperature for best performance."
"The hybrid system also includes a power inverter (PIM) housed inside the battery pack, which is also protected from damage."
"An important observation concerning the layout of the Jeep 4xe models is that the small size of the charging module placed in the boot and the arrangement of the electric motor under the floor means that the boot capacity is practically the same as the conventional engine version (330 liters for Renegade and 420 liters for Compass - in the configuration with seats in upright position). At the same time, the dual function of the boot with a raised loading surface at the top and maximized loading capacity at the bottom was maintained. The layout means that a spare wheel can be housed under the boot on the 4xe versions of both models."
There are a total of three trim levels – 'Limited', 'S' and 'Trailhawk' and two power levels – 190 or 240 hp.
The production of both 4xe models will take place at the FCA Melfi Plant in Basilicata (Italy), alongside conventional versions (Jeep Renegade has been in production there since 2014). Those models are targeted for the EMEA region (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), but mostly Europe.
According to Jeep, more than one thousand orders were collected for "First Edition" versions in eight markets over the past several months.
In terms of charging, the 4xe can recharge in 100 minutes (at 7.4 kW, single-phase).
FCA installed around 3,600 charging stalls at its dealerships across Europe and "in plant parking lots are heading in this direction".
Thanks to the partnership with Digital Charging Solutions (DCS), FCA's customers will be also able to use more than 130,000 charging stations in 21 European countries, through a single account/app/card in the "My easy Charge" digital service.
Jeep Renegade 4xe and Jeep Compass 4xe specs:
- Range (all-electric)
- in general, expected up to around 50 km (31 miles)
- Renegade 4xe WLTP: 26 miles (41.8 km)
- Compass 4xe WLTP: N/A
- 11.4 kWh battery; nickel-manganese-cobalt cells, 400 V system
- underneath the second row seat, fitted with a dedicated heating and cooling circuit
- 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 7.5 seconds
- top speed of 200 km/h (124 mph); 130 km/h (81 mph) in EV mode
- all-wheel drive
- peak system output of about 140 kW (190 hp) or 176 kW (240 hp):
- Limited version: - 1.3L turbo gasoline engine (130 hp and 270 Nm), electric motor/generator and six-speed automatic transmission in the front plus electric motor (60 hp and 250 Nm) on the rear axle
- Trailhawk and S versions: - 1.3L turbo gasoline engine (180 hp and 270 Nm), electric motor/generator and six-speed automatic transmission in the front plus electric motor (60 hp and 250 Nm) on the rear axle
- AC charging in less than two hours (100 minutes) using a 7.4 kW wallbox
- "the boot capacity is practically the same as the conventional engine version (330 liters for Renegade and 420 liters for Compass - in the configuration with seats in upright position)"